During the spring semester, many academic institutions felt comfortable planning towards in-person learning in the fall. Spikes in the COVID-19 pandemic forced many of them to reevaluate, creating challenges for teachers and students across all disciplines.
In most fields, the challenges of teaching on video conferencing platforms such as Zoom, including connectivity issues and the difficulty of seeing all students onscreen at the same time, mean students and instructors alike have to work harder for an optimal learning experience.
For students in medical fields and the sciences, though, the lack of onsite classes is more than an inconvenience, as simulation labs may be closed or open under extensive restrictions or protocols due to the pandemic.
Clinical simulation is an integral part of training and education in healthcare fields, representing as much as 50% of clinical training for nursing students according to a recent study. Not being able to complete it can even delay students’ graduation.
Remote Simulation for Standardized Patient Training
To solve this, GIGXR is proud to announce the launch of HoloPatient Remote and GIG Mobile, bundled apps that allow remote or socially-distanced students to use GIGXR’s Immersive Learning System on iOS and Android tablets and smartphones. Designed for medical and nursing programs using a hybrid or online learning model, these apps allow training to be uninterrupted and continue at the same quality as if students were on campus.
“While students are required to stay safe and socially distanced, GIGXR’s HoloPatient is the closest, highest-quality learning experience you can get to training with real patients. HoloPatient’s pathology experiences are unimaginably life-like with physically safe and safe-to-fail environments,” said Dr. Linda Herrmann, NYU Rory Meyers College of Nursing.
Mobiles Applications that Power Remote Simulation Training
HoloPatient Remote is a mobile application for iOS and Android that transports true-to-life holographic patients to remote student locations where they can be viewed and examined by students using their phone or tablet during collaborative instructor-led simulation lab training sessions. Key features and highlights for students include:
- Ability to connect with their instructor, who is wearing a Microsoft HoloLens 2 mixed reality headset, using their iOS or Android device.
- Experience high-quality, true-to-like holographic standardized patients that are transported to the student location during the session.
- Use their mobile devices to select a location in their room for the standardized patient to sit, stand or lie down for examination.
- Independently walk around, examine and interact with the holographic patient while communicating with their instructor through VOIP.
- Observe a wide variety of patient pathologies, conditions and states of decline chosen and highlighted by the instructor for the session.
- Experience a collaborative learning among the group facilitates highly effective learning outcomes.
“Enabling students to hear, see and interact with holographic culturally diverse patients, and each other, provides some of the most cutting-edge and effective teaching and training modalities in our field,” added Herman.
GIG Mobile is a native iOS and Android app used to control applications like HoloPatient Remote and interact with the GIG Immersive Learning System, an XR teaching system designed to enhance, not replace, existing curriculum and teaching methods.
- Instructors can create a session template of content which is replicable and can be assigned to specific student groups.
- Students can join training sessions remotely for applications such as HoloPatient.
- Data collection around changes made by users made in a session, such as vital signs and remote labels that are placed in the scene.
- QR code login that is rapid and seamless, with sessions that are launched by instructors and accessed by students with one click of a button.
“GIGXR’s HoloPatient has been a useful addition to allow students a consistent realistic experience that is less time and resource intensive as other modalities,” said Dr Jane Frost, Associate Professor in Nursing at University of Canberra. “GIGXR’s latest release HoloPatient Remote has increased its useability in online learning and enables students to continue to engage in realistic simulation experiences while learning remotely.”
Discounted Pricing for the Fourth Quarter 2020 Term
A discounted starter package is available to institutions who purchase during the Fall Term. For more information on HoloPatient Remote, GIG Mobile and the GIG Immersive Learning System, please visit www.gigxr.com or email email@example.com to request a demo today.